Thank you to Barbara and the Patients Rights Fund for this comprehensive update!
It was a tough fight but I’m happy to inform you that the Connecticut bill to legalize assisted suicide died in committee yesterday when there were not enough votes to pass it. Great thanks and congratulations are due to the large diverse and effective coalition that pulled out all of the stops to defeat the bill. Of the remaining bills, Nevada is the most critical at this time. We will keep you posted.
States Which Defeated Bills to Legalize or Expand Assisted Suicide in 2021
- Arizona: HB 2254, SB 1775. Bills died in committee with no activity.
- Connecticut: HB 6425. Passed in one committee, died in the second committee.
- Indiana: HB 1074. Bill died in committee with no activity.
- Iowa: SF 212, HF475. Bills died in committee with no activity.
- Kentucky: HB 506. Bill died in committee with no activity.
- North Dakota: HB 1415. Bill voted down by the House.
- Washington: HB 1141, an expansion bill. Passed in the House and failed when the Senate did not take it up.
States Which Enacted Bills to Legalize Assisted Suicide in 2021
- New Mexico: HB 47. Passed in the House and Senate, signed into law by the Governor.
States with Bills to Legalize Assisted Suicide in 2021
- Kansas: HB 2202
- Massachusetts: S. 1384, H. 2381
- Minnesota: SF 1352, HF 1358
- Nevada: SB 105, AB 351
- New York: A 4321
- Pennsylvania: S.B. 405
- Rhode Island: H 5572
States With Bills to Expand Assisted Suicide in 2021
- California: SB 380
- Hawaii: SB 323, SB 839, SD 2, HB 487. Passed in the Senate, carried over to 2022.
- Vermont: S.74
Barbara L. Lyons